We are often asked what software we recommend. We do not require any of these products for you to maintain your site hosted by Optimus Media, they are the only software we recommend.
It’s a must to have some type of anti-virus software to protect your computer. While there are many great products we like these the best:
- Avast.com (Free for Home Use) – This is our favorite free Anti-virus product. Windows, Mac and Linux versions are available.
- AVG Anti-Virus (Free for Home Use) – A very good product.
- ClamAV (free for everyone) – This product was designed for Linux users but is quickly gaining ground among windows users as well.
A must for cable, DSL and permanent connections to the net. A firewall keeps people/programs from gaining access to your computer without your knowledge.
- Zone Alarm (Free) There is a pro version and a free version. The free version is more than adequate for home/personal use.
If you are going to design your own site, we recommend the following products:
- WordPress.org – A self-hosted WordPress installation is the best way to go. We’ll install it for free.
- Notepad (already on your system) – Really want to know and understand HTML? Then I recommend you start at the beginning with a good HTML tutorial or book or the W3Schools.com website.
If your web design software doesn’t have an FTP client built-in, and even when it does, it’s a good idea to have a reliable FTP program.
- Filezilla – A great open source (free) FTP utility. It’s become my only FTP Client.
If you use a lot of graphics on your site. These are great programs.
- The leading Photoshop clone. This one is free, so give it a try.
- Adobe Photoshop
The standard — but pricey. Both Fireworks and Photoshop are now owned by Adobe and therefore expect Fireworks to phase out.
If you are putting audio or video to your site, you will want to check out these products:
An excellent audio editing package, Audacity works with over a dozen different audio formats including AU, WAV and PCM, and has extensive editing capabilities.